The Church of St. John's in the Wilderness, of Denver, the first
Protestant Episcopal Church in Colorado, was officially organized February
19, 1860, by the erection of a temporary vestry. The name of the church
was given it some weeks earlier by William H. Moore, who had begun this
mission, as he said, "seven hundred miles from the nearest church." His
sister, who was known as Deaconess Moore, born in 1830, and who assisted
at the founding of the first mission, was still alive and active in 1917.
The first temporary vestry consisted of Charles A. Lawrence,
Thomas L Bayaud, later its first senior warden, Amos Steck, soon elected
mayor, Samuel C. Curtis, then postmaster, E. Waterbury, Thomas G. Wildman,
D. C. Collier, C E. Cooley, Dr. A. F. Peck and Richard E. Whitsett. On
November 6, 1861, St. John's Church in the Wilderness was incorporated by
legislative enactment, with the following incorporators: Amos Steck,
Benjamin H. Blanton, John S. Fillmore, Oscar D. Cass, Thomas G. Wildman,
Roswell W. Roath, Henry B. Rogers, Milton M. Delano, Samuel S. Curtis,
Thomas J. Bayaud. In the incorporation the church was legally exempted
forever from taxation.
In the church records the first rector.
Rev. John Kehler, who had for many years been rector of the parish of
Sheppardstown in Virginia, and who had reached Denver early in January,
thus announces this historical beginning of Protestant church services in
Colorado under date January 17, 1860: "January 17, We inaugurated our
services in Denver City in the Union School House on Cherry Creek, McGaa
Street. Then and there doubtless for the first time since the creation
were the solemn and befitting words spoken: 'The Lord is in this Holy
Temple. Let all the earth keep silence before Him.' "
Kehler, as he was ever affectionately called, resigned the rectorship June
3, 1862, after his appointment as chaplain of the First Regiment of
Colorado Volunteers. After his term of service, spent mostly, in the field
in New Mexico, he returned to Denver, where he continued to reside, much
beloved, and serving the church, as his age and infirmities permitted,
until 1876, when he removed to Washington, where he died February 21,
1879. From 1866 to 1876 he was a member and president of the standing
Bishop Talbot, missionary bishop of the Northwest from
1859 to 1865, made his first visitation August, 1861. He was surprised and
delighted to find a flourishing parish in this city of the plains,
maintaining regular worship in a rented building, humble in character, but
well adapted to the services of the church. He spent the entire month in
Denver, and in the mining camps of what were subsequently Gilpin and Clear
Creek counties, holding service and preaching in Central City, Idaho
Springs, Spanish Bar, Golden, Mountain City, Nevadaville, etc. Central
City was the only point at which in his judgment a missionary should then
On the next visitation in the summer of 1862 more
substantial results were accomplished. St. John's Parish had recently
become vacant. By his advice, the chapel of the Southern Methodists, the
only place of worship in town, was purchased and fitted up for services,
at a cost of $2,500, of which, according to the bishop's report, the
congregation contributed $1,000. It was consecrated on Sunday, July 20,
1862. To supply the parish till a rector could be found, the Rev. Isaac A.
Hagar, deacon, was called from Nebraska. Mr. Hagar, in addition to his
services in Denver, officiated occasionally during his stay at Central
City and Golden. At the former, including surrounding camps, was a
population of nearly five thousand, at the latter about one hundred.
Denver had perhaps three thousand. The bishop, after holding several
services and much personal visiting and intercourse, secured the
organization of St. Paul's, Central City, as a parish, the earnest
churchmen of the place having obtained subscriptions, which guaranteed the
full support of a clergyman. Soon after he sent to them the Rev. Francis
Granger, who became and was for two or three years their rector. The
bishop visited all the places where he had been the year before, and also
the Clear Creek Valley as far as Empire and Georgetown. He also made an
extensive journey to the South Park, visiting Tarryall, Montgomery,
Georgia, Buckskin Joe, California Gulch (on which is the present city of
Leadville), and Breckenridge. He returned by way of the Ute Pass and
Colorado City, the first capital of the territory, where he held services.
In 1863, the bishop made another visitation occupying the month of
He brought with him the Rev. Wm. O. Jarvis, and appointed
him missionary at Empire, Gold Dust and Idaho, a most discouraging field,
for the early promise of growth was not realized, and after a year of
arduous labor, the missionary returned to the east. The bishop had secured
the Rev. H. B. Hitchings to succeed Mr. Hagar at Denver, in the autumn of
1862. His labors had been so successful that it became necessary to
enlarge the church, giving it a seating capacity of over three hundred. It
was opened by the bishop August 16th, and on the same day Mr. Hitchings
was instituted rector.
Bishop Talbot was again in Denver and
officiated on Sunday, November 22d, the same year, on his return from Utah
and Nevada. This was his last visit, until the consecration of Trinity
Memorial, Denver, September 1875.
The church was now firmly
established in the two most important centers, Denver and Central City. At
both of these, parish schools were established. The two rectors held
occasional services at Golden, Blackhawk and Nevada. Mr. Granger having
resigned, the Rev. A. B. Jennings was secured for Central City in August,
The Rt. Rev. Geo. M. Randall elected missionary bishop in
October and consecrated December 28, 1865, arrived in Denver June 11,
1866. His jurisdiction included Montana, Idaho and Wyoming. In 1867 Idaho
and Montana were assigned to Bishop Tuttle, and New Mexico was at the same
time given to Bishop Randall. He entered upon his work with great zeal and
enthusiasm. The Rev. Father Kehler and Reverends Hitchings and Jennings
were in the field. He brought out the Rev. Wm. A. Fuller, deacon, and
placed him at Nevadaville, two miles above Central City.
bishop during his first summer visited all the points seen by his
predecessor and a few others on the Arkansas and its tributaries. Going
east for the winter to secure men and means, he came back in the spring
with the "army of one" he had succeeded in "recruiting," the Rev. F.
Byrne. He met on his way back the "first army," the Reverend Mr. Fuller,
returning. This was the clergy-man who made so narrow an escape from the
Indians when they attacked the stage-coach in the Platte Valley. Soon
after, however, 1867-69, he secured a few additional clergymen, the
Reverend Lynd, for Golden, Reverend Whitehead, for Blackhawk, and Reverend
Winslow, for Empire and Georgetown.
On April 1, 1869, the Reverend
Mr. Hitchings having resigned, the bishop assumed the rectorship of St.
In 1868 and later the work was considerably
extended. Churches consecrated were: Christ, Nevada, September 17, 1867;
Emmanuel, Empire, September 18, 1867; St. Mark's, Cheyenne, August 23,
1868; Calvary, Golden, September 23, 1868; St. Peter's, Pueblo, June 27,
1869; Calvary, Idaho, July 15, 1869; St. Matthew's, Laramie, September 21,
1869; St. Paul's, Littleton, April 2, 1871: Grace, Georgetown, May 9,
1872; Heavenly Rest, Baldwinsville, March 29, 1873. Missions were
established at Greeley, Canon City, Ula and Trinidad. In Pueblo,
Georgetown, Cheyenne, Central City and Golden, parish schools were
established until the public schools became so good as to render the
No sooner had the bishop entered upon his
work than he began to make plans for the establishment of schools of a
higher grade for the youth of both sexes. In the autumn of 1866 he
purchased a small house in the outskirts of Denver with a view of opening
a girls' school. In the following year this plan was abandoned, on the
citizens of the city subscribing the money to purchase five lots in a more
central location. On these he erected in 1867 the central part of the old
Seventeenth Street Wolfe Hall, at a cost, for the building itself, of
$18,000. John D. Wolfe gave most largely towards the enterprise, and the
school was called by his name. The bishop with his family took up his
residence in the school and opened it in the autumn of 1868 with seventy
pupils. In 1873 he added a wing costing four or five thousand dollars.
While building Wolfe Hall he was also planning for a school for boys
and young men who might be looking to the ministry. His purpose was in
1866-67 to accept a large block of land on Capitol Hill in Denver that had
been offered him, and build upon it a clergy' and bishop's house, a school
for boys with a training school of theology and a cathedral chapel,
extending the buildings be-yond the chapel in the center, as the needs
should require. His plan, as detailed in his reports of 1866 and 1867, was
well conceived. The location was the best possible. In 1868, however, he
accepted a deed for school purposes of twelve acres in the vicinity of
Golden conditioned on a collegiate school being maintained thereon; and
began the erection of a building seventy-two by thirty-five feet, two
stories high, with Mansard roof, to contain living apartments, schoolroom
for thirty, recitation rooms and alcoves for twenty pupils. Mis-fortune
seems from the first to have attended the undertaking. On the early
morning of Thanksgiving Day, November 24th, a terrible hurricane blew of¥
the roof. The cost of building and rebuilding was $17,873.42. On September
17, 1870, the school, which had been carried on by the Rev. Wm. J. Lynd in
a rented house in Golden, was opened on "College Hill" with appropriate
services. Through the generosity of Nathan Matthews, of Boulder, George A.
Jarvis, Rev. Ethan Allen, Rev. Samuel Babcock and others, the first
Matthews Hall was erected in 1872, and opened September 19th of that year,
with Rev. R. Harding in charge and six or seven students for the
theological course. The Legislature had voted several thousand dollars for
a school of mines as an adjunct to Jarvis Hall. This seemed the beginning
of a great educational center.
The schools in Golden never met the
expectations of their friends. The School of Mines was in 1874 given back
to a board of trustees of the territory created by the Legislature to
receive it. The territory remunerated the church in part for what it had
cost beyond the sum appropriated from the territorial treasury.
1874 Matthews Hall had seven students, but only two of the scholarships
that were relied on to support them could be secured. There were no funds
for the professor's salary. Five of the young men were ordained. The
professor went east. Thenceforth the few theological students were
teachers in Jarvis Hall.
On the 4th and 6th of April, 1878, Jarvis
and Matthews halls were destroyed by fire. The next year, with the
approval of all the largest benefactors of the schools and the clergy and
laity in convocation, it was decided to remove them to Denver.
1883 Bishop Spalding built the second Matthews Hall at Twentieth and
Glenarm, and this was used for years as an Episcopal residence. In 1888
the second Jarvis Hall was erected in Montclair. When this was destroyed
by fire in 1901 the few theological students were taken care of at
Matthews Hall. In 1917 Matthews Hall was sold by the diocese. The Jarvis
endowment fund began with a gift of $10,000 by George A. Jarvis, of
Brooklyn, in 1870. It was designed to be the nucleus for the theological
school which has since been discontinued.
The Wolfe Hall fund was
started by Bishop Randall through gifts obtained chiefly in Grace Church
parish. New York. The first building erected at Seventeenth and Champa
cost $18,000, and before it was opened the cost was a little over
thirty-seven thousand dollars. The largest donor was Mr. Wolfe, of Grace
Church, who gave $7,000 of this. Bishop Spalding sold this property and
with this as a nucleus in 1888 began the erection of Wolfe Hall on its
present site. Jarvis Hall and Wolfe Hall together cost $317,000, and it
was not long before the diocese was in serious financial trouble. Seth Low
and nine others presented the diocese with $22,000 to save the property.
Miss Anna Wolcott (Mrs. Vaile) was placed in charge of the Wolfe
Hall school for girls, and this she conducted for five years, when friends
established her in what is now still conducted as the "Miss Wolcott School
for Girls," one of the finest institutions of its kind in the country.
Wolfe Hall continued as a school for girls until 1913, when it was
discontinued. The building is now used for the collegiate school for boys,
and as headquarters for the diocesan jurisdiction.
In 1873 Bishop
Randall died, and his successor. Bishop J. F. Spalding, was consecrated
February 27, 1874.
In 1874 the stone churches at Central City and
Colorado Springs, costing each about ten thousand dollars, were completed,
with Trinity Memorial, Denver, erected in memory of the late Bishop
Randall. In 1875 Fort Collins was permanently occupied, and the church at
Greeley built. In 1876 Christ Church, Canon City was built.
was begun in North Denver, and also at Rosita and church buildings
undertaken. In 1877 the church entered with a missionary the San Luis
Val-ley and established services at Saguache, Del Norte, and Lake City,
and at the last two places secured chapels. Emmanuel, West Denver, was
also completed. In 1878 Bishop Spalding visited Silver Cliff and Leadville
and began more permanent work at Boulder, placing a new missionary in
charge. In 1879 churches were built at Ouray, Silver Cliff and Boulder. In
1880 a mission was planted at Rico, and churches built at Leadville and
Manitou, and the cathedral of Denver commenced. Bishop Spalding had
secured the lots for the cathedral in 1876. In 1881 the church rebuilt All
Saints, North Denver, and occupied Durango and Gunnison and Longmont, and
built, or began to build, churches, and had a missionary at Breckenridge
and Pitkin. In 1882 it organized at South Pueblo, Alamosa, Buena Vista and
Alma, and built in 1883 at South Pueblo, Fort Collins, Villa Grove and
Alamosa, and began work at Silverton.
The most important work of
church building was the former Denver Cathedral. It was begun in July,
1880. The corner-stone was laid on St. Matthew's day, and the opening
service was held on November 8, 1881. It was built of brick and stone in
Romanesque style, with porch, nave, transepts, aisles and chancel. The
building, with its ample grounds, including organ and gifts of expensive
memorial windows, cost about one hundred and fifteen thousand dollars.
Another very important work of those years was the founding of St.
Luke's Hospital, Denver. A lady residing in Denver had bequeathed a small
property worth $l,800 for a hospital to be under the control and
management of the Episcopal Church. She died in January1881. A sermon in
the cathedral soon after excited quite general interest. The board of
managers, all churchmen, was organized February 12th, and the hospital was
opened in June of that year on the north side.
The new St. Luke's
Hospital was erected on Pearl Street, between Nineteenth and Twentieth
avenues, and the success in raising the fund needed for this great
diocesan benefaction was due largely to the donations and personal efforts
of the late Judge Hallett, of the United States District Court, and of the
late Walter S. Cheesman.
The bishops of the Diocese of Colorado,
which is now known officially as "The Bishop and Chapter of John the
Evangelist, Denver, Colorado," were: missionary bishop, Rt. Rev. George M.
Randall, D. D., consecrated December 28, 1865; died September 21, 1873.
First diocesan bishop, Rt. Rev. John Franklin Spalding, D. D., consecrated
1873; died March 9, 1902. Rt. Rev. Charles Sanford Olmsted, bishop,
consecrated 1902. Rt. Rev. Irving Peake Johnson, D. D., consecrated bishop
coadjutor, 1917. The institutions founded by the diocese are: The
Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, of which Rt. Rev. H. Martyn Hart is
dean; St. Stephen's School for Boys at Colorado Springs; St. Luke's
Hospital, Denver; the Home for Consumptives at Denver, of which Rev. F. W.
Oakes is superintendent; the Convalescent Home, at Denver, of which Mr. V.
R. Jones was president in 1918; the Collegiate School for Boys, Denver,
now occupying part of Wolfe Hall, which is also the office of the diocese.
Rev. G. H. Holoran was principal of the school in 1917.
was detached from the Diocese of Colorado in 1881 and grouped with
Arizona. Wyoming was detached in 1886 and grouped with Idaho. The
missionary jurisdiction of Colorado was organized as a diocese in 1885 and
ad-mitted into union with the general convention in 1886. In 1892 all that
part of Colorado west of the counties of Larimer, Boulder, Gilpin, Clear
Creek, Park, Lake, Chaffee, Saguache, Rio Grande and Conejos was detached
from the Diocese of Colorado and made a missionary jurisdiction by the
House of Bishops. In 1893 Bishop Spalding gave up this part of his diocese
to the newly appointed head, Rev. William Morris Barker, D. D. This is now
known as the Missionary District of Western Colorado.
In 1873 the
number of church families in Colorado reported was 360; in 1883 it was
1,921; increase, 433 per cent. There were reported in 1873, 550
communicants; in 1883, 2,112, an increase of 284 per cent. Sunday school
teachers and scholars: In 1873 the report gave 658; in 1883, 2,082, a gain
of 216 per cent.
In 1899 there were 5,267 communicants in the
church. In 1912 they were 6,700. In 1917, 7,002. In 1917 there were
fifty-seven rectors, and seventy-one parishes and missions. From 1902 to
1912 the diocese built or organized twenty-six churches, seventeen
rectories and seven parish houses.
On May 15, 1903, St. John's
Cathedral was destroyed by fire, and within a few weeks the work of
planning a new cathedral was under way. In his "Recollections and
Reflections," published in 1917, Dean Henry Martyn Hart says:
collected $66,000 of the insurance company, sold the site for $30,000, and
after much debate purchased the block opposite Wolfe Hall, on which we
built a Chapter House to accommodate some of our congregation. We invited
eight architects, to whom we paid $150 each, to supply us with designs;
ten others also competed. Tracy and Swartwout of New York presented a
design for an elaborate Gothic cathedral.
"When the designs were
submitted for bids, the least bid was $300,000, a sum far beyond our
reach. The architects then begged to be allowed to design a simpler Gothic
structure to fit the same foundations, and they produced this very
dignified and satisfactory drawing, entirely changing the construction;
the weight of the roof was born by the piers, each one supports 200 tons
of masonry, whereas the aisle walls only supported themselves. In altering
the construction the architects did not sufficiently consider whether the
original foundations of the piers would be sufficient to carry the extra
weight; the consequence was, when the building had reached the gutters of
the roof, I found on September 5, 1909, that one of the pillars had
cracked. The whole structure had to be taken down, larger foundations
constructed, and the fabric re-erected at a loss to us of $30,000. For
seven years we worshipped in the Chapter House.
"The Cathedral was
finished without further mishap and on November 5, 191 1, we held in it
our first service.
"The stone is Indiana Oölite limestone from the
Bedford quarries. The two front towers are 100 feet high. The great tenor
bell occupies alone the east tower, and the other fourteen are hung on
iron girders in the other. The tenor bell can be swung; the rest are
"The Reredos, which is unique, represents the chief
personages through whom we have received the Bible. The central figure is
Giotto's Christ. His right hand is raised in Blessing, his left hand holds
the Book. On the 'north' side are eight Old Testament saints; on the other
side are figures of Jerome, who gave us the Vulgate; Erasmus, who edited
the Greek New Testament; Wyclif, the translator of the Saxon Bible;
Tyndale, the inimitable translator; and Cranmer, by whose authority the
Bible was delivered to the English people. All these beautiful figures
were carved in oak by Josef Mayr, who for so long personified the Christus
in the Oberammergau Passion Play. The front of the Holy Table is an
exquisite carving by Peter Rendl, Mayr's son-in-law, of Gilbert's 'Last
The missionary district of western Colorado has had the
following bishops: Rt. Rev. William Morris Barker, D. D., consecrated
January 25, 1893; transferred to Olympia in 1894. The second bishop was
Rt. Rev. Abiel Leonard, who in 1894 had western Colorado added to his
jurisdiction of Nevada and Utah. From 1898 to 1907 the jurisdiction was a
part of the Missionary District of Salt Lake City. Rt. Rev. Edward J.
Knight, D. D., was consecrated December 19. 1907, and died in the
following year. Rt. Rev. Benjamin Brewster, D. D., was bishop from 1909
until his transfer to Maine in 1916. At present the missionary bishop is
Rt. Rev. Frank Hale Touret, who lives at Grand Junction. There were in
1917 fifteen rectors, and forty-one parishes and missions; communicants,
1,096. Its eleventh annual convocation will be held in May at St.
Matthew's Church, Grand Junction.
It has parishes at Breckenridge,
Delta, Durango, Glenwood Springs, Grand Junction, Marble, Meeker,
Montrose, Ouray, Pueblo, Silverton, Steamboat Springs, Telluride, and
missions at Aspen, Axial, Craig, Dillon, Grand Valley, Grand Lake,
Gunnison, Hayden, Hotchkiss, Ignacio, Kremmling, Kokomo, Lake City,
Mancos, Maybell, Montezuma, Montrose County, New Castle, Norwood, Oak
Creek, Ohio City, Olathe, Paonia, Pitkin, Placerville, Rico, Ridgway,
Rifle, Hot Sulphur Springs and Yampa.
The St. Peter's Episcopal
Church was the first in Pueblo and was started in 1867. In this church was
the first church bell in Colorado south of the Divide and the third in the
territory. This bell was hauled from Missouri by ox teams.
History of Colorado
Source: History of Colorado, Wilbur
Fisk Stone, Editor, Volume I, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing
Other Genealogy Resources
Do you have a website with specific locality
content that we are not already linking to, or would you like us to
change a listing to your present website. You can instruct us how to
do that by clicking on the link above!