The history of Colorado and of Christian Science may be said to be
coincident in that the first edition of the Christian Science text-book,
"Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures" was published by Mrs. Eddy
but a few months prior to the admission of Colorado as a state. The seed
of the Christian Science movement in Colorado were sown in the spring of
1885 by Geo. B. Wickersham, and later that year a class was taught in the
Denver home of Mrs. Chas. L. Hall by Bradford Sherman of Chicago. By the
fall of 1888 a sufficient number had thus become interested to form an
organization. Meetings were held in a private home, but soon it became
necessary to move into a public hall to accommodate the in-creasing
In May, 1891, this organization was incorporated as a
church, some of the charter members being Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Griffith, Mr.
and Mrs. I. M. Low, Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Swift, Mr. and Mrs. A. P.
Frederick, Mr. and Mrs. R. M. Clark, Mrs. Martha Miller, W. C. Wix, Mrs.
Frances Mann, Mrs. John R. Smith, J. H. Miller, Jas. L. Henshall. Mrs. R.
Maufif. Mrs. M. G. Fulweider, and Wm. H. Yankee. During the autumn of that
year the building of a church home was begun on Logan Street near
Eighteenth Avenue, which was occupied the fol-lowing year. In five years
this proved too small, and the building was enlarged to the capacity of
the ground space owned; but in less than two years this also was filled to
overflowing, and the problem of providing additional room again
con-fronted the Denver Christian Scientists.
When the five lots at
Fourteenth Avenue and Logan Street were purchased in 1899 'ess than three
dollars was in the building fund of the church, but soon building
operations were begun on an edifice which cost about one hundred and sixty
thousand dollars. Although services were held therein beginning in May,
1904, it was not dedicated until the fall of 1906, as no Christian Science
Church is dedicated until it is free from debt.
Although more than
seventeen hundred people can be comfortably accommodated in the First
Church edifice the continued growth of Christian Science necessitated
further expansion, so in January, 1909, the Christian Scientists of the
south side withdrew and formed Second Church. The members of this
organization after meeting in the Masonic Temple for some time were forced
to build in order to secure larger quarters, and they are now nicely
situated in a beautiful church home on South Grant Street and Bayaud
In the fall of 1909 the Christian Scientists living on the
north side of Denver followed the example of their south side friends and
started an organization, which also has prospered and grown, so that it is
evident that their removal to the largest hall in that section of the city
will but temporarily meet the need. A beautiful and conveniently located
building site has been secured, on which a church home will soon be
Prior to 1895, although there were many throughout the
state interested in Christian Science, the organized church activities had
been restricted to Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Canon City and Grand
Junction, as up to that time the Christian Science churches were served by
personal pastors. Chief among these had been Capt. John F. Linscott, Rev.
L. P. Norcross, and Mrs. Ella Peck Sweet, the last named having started
the churches in Colorado Springs, and Caņon City, where she preached for
several years, occasionally supplying in Pueblo as well.
spring of 1895 Mrs. Eddy ordained the impersonal pastor system, which has
since been used in all Christian Science organizations. Instead of
depending on personal preachers, each organization has two readers who
read alternately selections from the Bible and "Science and Health with
Key to the Scriptures" by Mary Baker Eddy. This has enabled the starting
of many organizations, which have steadily grown, until there are now
forty-three recognized Christian Science organizations in Colorado, with
more than that number where informal meetings are being, held.
History of Colorado
Source: History of Colorado, Wilbur
Fisk Stone, Editor, Volume I, Chicago, The S. J. Clarke Publishing
Other Genealogy Resources
Do you have a website with specific locality
content that we are not already linking to, or would you like us to
change a listing to your present website. You can instruct us how to
do that by clicking on the link above!